Just what is he thinking?

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Being the Church

Tonight, I witnessed the true church in action. It was what seemed to be a normal Wednesday evening service when one of our church family comes in with a problem. He was very discreet and tapped me on the shoulder during worship. His mother-in-law had been severely beaten and was in the hospital. And just this afternoon she suffered a stroke and was air-lifted to Cape Girardeau (about an hour and a half drive from PB).

He and his wife wanted to get to Cape to be with his mother-in-law but had no money for gas. After working the same job for 18 years, he suddenly lost it. His wife is working nights at a convenience store even after breaking her hip. Times are tough.

After the worship time, I presented our congregation with the need. We gathered around him and prayed for his mother-in-law. Then, one by one, everybody in the sanctuary came to him with cash in hand. I really believe that everyone gave him something. He and I were both in tears by the time it was over. He because of the outpouring of love, and me because I was witnessing the church in action.

Time and again the Bible encourages us to bear one another's burdens. That when one grieves, we all grieve. I literally saw that spontaneously unfold before my eyes. I felt like that we could have ended the service right then. Not because we had church, but because we were the church.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home